Thursday 1 March 2007

Another Example Of How The Police Treat Their Own

For 34 years I’ve been a member of the Association and I have considered it to be, in the broader sense, my union.
I’ve read the objectives, service, mission and values statements of the Police Association.
They tell me, and anyone else who cares to read them, that members can rely on the Association to assist them in employment disputes with their employer, the New Zealand Police Department.
My experience between 2001 and 2006 was that after two years of verbal complaints,
nothing was done to alleviate problems within our office.
When I reported the issues in writing, band-aids were placed over festering sores, and nothing was done to rectify the cause.
The local Human Resources Office OSH officer became involved but was later warned off the inquiry, given a slap on the wrist and told it had nothing to do with that office – this from someone from the Office of the Commissioner.
Nothing further was done.
Two further written reports outlining the major issues were similarly ignored.
Fourteen months after the first report was submitted one member of the office was
hospitalised and on sick leave and shortly after, two other members from an office of six staff
were off on sick leave (I am told there is no such thing as stress leave), all at the same time.
The office collapsed, just as I had predicted in my first report to the Police administration.
My regional manager asked me (at a meeting, while I was on sick leave) if I had considered
looking for another job and even suggested positions that might be suitable.
All I had done was report the problem.
I always believed my Association, my union, would come to the aid of its members against
the excesses of their employer, and especially in such circumstances as I have mentioned
above.
There is no evidence that it came to my defence or the other members in the office
which raises the question, what does one have to do to get assistance from the Association
in employment issues where the Police Department has breached sections of the
Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992?
What I have learnt from this whole sorry episode is, if you report problems (as you are
required to do) there is a very high price to pay for your health and sanity.
The report is ignored; a brick wall erected so you can beat
your head against it, and the boss can hide behind it knowing full well the only redress
you have is to sue in the Employment Court.
I have also learnt the administration concept of
‘defer, delay and deny’ is endemic within the
New Zealand Police administration.

CM
(North Shore City)

No comments: